Friday, July 06, 2007

Why I'm not READING what I'm reading right now

Photo Credit: Tamra Hays
Unlike many new media professionals, I LOVE to read. Always have. I read waiting at the doctor's office, waiting for my car at the mechanic, while the rest of the family is asleep (I'm an insomniac) and simply whenever I can pull my brain away to learn or enjoy.

So this passion of mine is what makes one of my latest past times so unusual. Over the course of my career I've found that I prefer to spend my reading time on entertainment versus business learning. So I've been reading less and less from the great leaders of our time, and more silly fiction that feeds my soul but not necessarily my career. This has been troubling me over the last year, and I've been feeling that I'm missing out on things I really NEED to know to keep improving from a professional perspective.

Last month I discovered Soundview. This is a subscription-based service that provides book summaries of the best business titles via pdf, CD and scripted audio summaries and reviews. Their choices are pretty extensive, and the 'audio' option is what I've really fallen in love with. Each month I can download audio summaries to my iPod and listen to the latest management thinking in the car, on a plane, or in the background when working in my office on other things.

Sweeeet.

My only complaint is that this service is pretty much only focused executive business learning and leadership. One of my favorite topics - but wouldn't it be great to have this same type of thing for branding and technology titles? Ooooh - even better yet, how cool would it be to have audio summaries with training titles such as those on Lynda.com? (another best in class service)

Now I'm not affiliated with Soundview in any way - I'm just a schmuck who had been looking at their advertisements in SkyMall for years and finally decided to check them out. But I've really found that being able to listen to the key points of a BUNCH of different books has truly helped me keep my mind sharp... and to be honest, I don't even read the printed versions that they provide. Although a couple of the summaries I found so awesome that they drove my decision to purchase a title I wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to. And for the ones that I don't agree with, I don't have that annoyance that I wasted the money on the full book.

Check it out, you can try out at least 1 free summary. Then let me know if YOU fall in love or love to hate.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Excellent! post thanks for sharing such useful content.
Short Courses in Lahore

Anonymous said...

vary good info...
digital marketing