Sunday, July 22, 2007

Seth, Saturday & Savion: Comments on being the best in the world

In marketing guru Seth Godin's latest book The Dip, he talks about being the 'best in the world' at whatever you do. I've had Seth's words in my head for the last several weeks since I enjoyed his latest, but it's never been more top-of-mind than this weekend.

First, I spent a lovely Saturday doing basically the same thing as a record-breaking 8.3 million other fans across the world - reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I find J.K. Rowling inspiring - she is the creator of probably the best-known and certainly the best-loved character in contemporary fiction; she is also the author of her own escape from destitution, with no job and few prospects. She definitely has earned her place as one of the best. Now I can't help but mention that my FAVORITE part about the book was probably the conversations we started at all the tables around us when my husband and I pulled out our books and started reading in a swank Los Angeles restaurant Saturday night, but I digress...

:)

Sunday then provided another 'best' look with an awe-inspiring performance from Savion Glover, in town to perform with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. Savion caught my attention as the basketball-toting tap phenom in 1989's "Tap" with my personal hero, Gregory Hines. I then had the pleasure of meeting him in the early 1990's as he was again performing alongside Gregory in the Tony-award winning "Jelly's Last Jam". I knew then that he was something special - but I don't think I possibly could have imagined that goofy kid would grow and evolve into one of the greatest hoofers (if not the greatest) that has ever lived.

But watching Savion this evening with a beautiful rainbow bursting into color across the late California summer sky, it got me thinking about Seth's book - and about finding your niche to truly be the 'BEST' at whatever it is you do. Like many of you, I am also on this journey - scraping my way and picking up these refreshing reminders of how much is really possible for those with the focus, talent and determination to get there. Do you have it?



2 comments:

Tamra said...

I need to be the best at something before I retire. Would you bring the book to the reunion? Love the image of you two reading in the restaurant!

Jess Ivy said...

Absolutely. In fact, we bought two - because neither of us wanted to wait a whole day to wait fo the other to read it (we are not known as patient people). :)